Aretha Franklin recently passed away, so I decided to look into her life to find out what sort of person she was. I remember listening to her music throughout my childhood, when my dad put jazz and soul music on during long car rides.
Reasons I think Aretha Franklin is cool:
- She was coined the ‘Queen of Soul’ and her music is a beautiful melange of gospel, jazz, soul and RandB. Her songs just have so much power and emotion in them. I really love that she had so much energy and continued performing even when she got older.
- Martin Luther King was a family friend and often visited Aretha Franklin’s home during her childhood.
- She performed alongside George Michael – name a more iconic duo.
- She was an outspoken advocate for civil rights, women’s rights and supported indigenous people’s rights around the world. She preached respect to all human beings.
- She made Obama cry because her voice was so moving and powerful. I love people who can move grown men to tears.
My favourite quotes:
“Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It’s transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, years back, to the very moment certain things happened in your life. It’s uplifting, it’s encouraging, it’s strengthening.”
“Be your own artist, and always be confident in what you’re doing. If you’re not going to be confident, you might as well not be doing it.”
“I’m a big woman. I need big hair.”